, , , , , , ,

Well, I woke up at 5:45am and went to the medical center for my meniscus surgery.  Checked in at 6:15, and was wheeled back into the general staging area around 7:00am.  A lot of great nurses and doctors there to make everyone more comfortable.

The anesthesiologist came in with a great demeanor and the confidence and style you want in someone with such an important role.  I’ve never been under general anesthesia, so that was the part of the procedure that had me a bit worried.  I was very thankful his name wasn’t Dr. Conrad Murray, and that he did well in school.  He told me that he was going to add a mild sedative to the IV for the trip to the Operating Room, and then hit me with the heavy stuff once were ready.

I remember being wheeled to the O.R., and think that I was somewhere between “hobo poet” and “open mic night at a stand-up comedy club” as we navigated the maze of doors.  I wondered how it would feel to go under, would I dream, would it just go black like at the end of Terminator II?

Then I blinked and there was a nurse handing me some water with a straw.  I thanked her and wondered when the Anesthesiologist would come back to give me the real anesthesia.  The nurse said, “all through, everything went great.”  What?  No way? Nice.  That crafty doctor just popped it in without a peep, so that I went from “Mark’s Wild Ride” straight into night night land without even knowing it – – a good approach for someone as high strung as myself.

Reasonable pain, but haven’t used any of the pain meds they gave me, probably hurts less than when I injured it with my son at Etnie’s Skate Park, and a 2 out of 10 when compared the pain I experienced with kidney stones in the Bahamas 4 years ago (K stones would be a 10+ on the pain scale).

So now the recovery begins.  I won’t push it, and for the first time since I can remember, I won’t be able to use the stairs for a little while.  So to the elevators of the world, “hello old friend.”

In about 8 weeks, I’m expecting to be climbing stairs, running, skiing, etc., and without any more lingering, nagging pain….  boom.  For now, it’s ice, rest and watching every college football game that’s televised tomorrow, every NFL game Sunday, and for my global friends a little bit of world football (aka soccer) just for good measure.  No complaints from me this weekend.

Lastly, yes, that is my Tough Mudder head band, because once a mudder always a mudder.  And yes, still heavily sedated I put it on upside down 😮

Small steps add up!