As a follow-up to my last entry asking you to be more “Process-Less”, I thought I would share a recent web-article from “buzzfeed.com” titled “8 Foods We Eat In The U.S. That Are Banned In Other Countries”. It kind of takes over-processed across the line to the inclusion of chemicals and carcinogens, or the polar oposites of “super foods.” I’ll let you check out the article for yourself, but here’s a quick summary of the 8 (things you should stop eating):
- Artificial food dye: Makes your food pretty and can inhibit nerve-cell development.
- Olestra (or Olean): Lowers calorie counts while causing vitamin depletion and anal leakage – – yes, this is real.
- Brominated Vegetable Oil: Makes food dye stock to liquid (e.g. gatorade), but may also cause birth defects and major organ damage.
- Potassium Bromate (or Bromated Flour): Great for impatient bakers, bad for your kidneys and nervous system.
- Azodicarbonamide: Bleaches flour, plastic, and induces asthma as an added bonus.
- BHA & BHT: Wazy preservatives linked to cancer and tumors.
- Synthetic Growth Hormones rBGH and rBST: Harmful to cows and linked to increasing tumor development in humans.
- Arsenic: Used in chicken feed in the U.S., and this ingredient basically slowly kills you.
I know it’s tough to eliminate things that are so prevelant in US (processed) foods, but the more you can reduce the consumption of this dangerous bunch of motley ingredients, the healthier you will be. I’ve also heard about the noted side effect from #2 on the list, and that’s a risk I wouldn’t take for any snack (those chips would definitely make you say “wow”).
Small steps add up!!!