While juggling all of the demands of work, family, friends, hobbies, ect. may make you tired, sleepy and cranky, it’s not always easy to get the sleep you need for good health. I found that post-kids I could sleep at the drop of a hat, which wasn’t the case when I was younger. However, when I am under pressure at work, have too much going on in general, and need sleep the most, it can be difficult to “click over”, and get that deep sleep my body (and mind) need.
I just read an article from Yahoo!Shine titled “Weird Reasons You Can’t Sleep”. Definitely written from a woman’s perspective, for women, but I think some of the key messages are gender neutral. They even site a Michigan State study that demonstrated those that use their smart phone or tablet after 9pm “didn’t sleep very well” (and they have some statistics to back up the quote.
Here’s their list of “Weird” things that negatively impact a good night’s sleep:
- Working/playing on your smart phone or tablet too close to bedtime.
- Watching TV – I think this one depends on what your watching.
- You smoke a cigarette – Spoiler alert, cigarette’s can kill you 1,000 ways, so this shouldn’t surprise anyone. Do what you can to quit.
- Your bra is too tight – I can’t relate, but will note that the idea of trying to sleep in socks or a snug T-shirt is terrible, so I can’t imagine a tight bra choking you out being a good thing.
- You ate grilled chicken for dinner – Protein is great for your health, but too much, too close to bedtime can cause a problem.
It is nice to have another good reason to unplug and turn off your “smart” devices to enjoy your family, evening and even get a better night’s sleep.
Small steps add up!!!